|Vacancy Notice Number||ICC/21/MUL/i002|
|Position Title||Intern - Data Science|
|Position Type||Internship - 6 months|
|Number of Positions||1|
|Date of Issue||27/09/2021|
|Date of Closing||24/10/2021|
|Annual Salary Estimation||Valencia: EUR 825; Brindisi: EUR 400|
|Duty Station||Valencia (Spain) and Brindisi (Italy)|
|Organizational Location/Unit||Data and Analytics Unit (CPA)|
Applications from women are particularly encouraged for this internship
About the UNICC:
The International Computing Centre (UNICC) is the leading provider of Information Technology and Communications (ICT) services within the United Nations System. Over the last four decades, UNICC has been continually expanding the services it is providing to its Partners in various parts of the world, and in various areas of ICT.
As a part of the UN family, UNICC espouses the same values that the UN embraces. As a service provider, our core values are unmatched and underlie its continued growth: trust, customer focus, accountability, understanding cross-cultural differences, excellence, innovation, and teamwork. This combination has made UNICC the preferred provider of shared ICT services within the United Nations System.
UNICC is committed to delivering reliable ICT services driven by best practices. With its world‐class technology and state of the art infrastructure, together with the vast cross domain experience of its very knowledgeable staff, UNICC is always ready to offer UN friendly shared solutions to the United Nations System of Organizations.
Purpose of the position:
We are looking for a Data Scientist intern who will help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better Services. Your primary focus will be in applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction systems. The ideal candidate for this position has an exceptional eye for detail, and an understanding of popular data analysis tools. S/he will work closely across UNICC partners and datasets to understand objectives and identify trends in various studies.
Organizational setting and reporting:
Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the Data and Analytics Unit team.
Responsabilities could include:
Responsibilities may include part or all of the following:
- Selecting features, building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Data Engineer using state-of-the-art methods
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Perform quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
- Creating Recommendation engines, optimizing machine Learning models and Cross Validate pre built models
- Audit data on a regular basis to ensure data integrity and quality
- Help build data pipelines to sync millions of rows from source databases to our cloud-based analytics platfor
- Perform other duties as required
Communicating in a credible and effective way: Expresses oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others; listens actively. Produces effective written communications. Ensures that information is shared.
Fostering integration and teamwork: Develops and promotes effective relationships with colleagues and team members. Deals constructively with conflicts.
- Planning & Organizing:
Plans and prioritizes work effectively in coordination with the supervisor. Manages ambiguity and pressure in a self-reflective way. Produces and delivers quality results. Is action oriented and committed to achieving outcomes.
Knowledge and skills:
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience to participate in UNICC’s internships programme, but applicants should have the following functional and technical skills.
- Applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Programming experience in one or more object-oriented languages, including: Python, C, C++, Java, Ruby, Scala, and Go.
- Experience in using/ understanding of query languages such as SQL and Experience with databases like Oracle
- Familiarity with relational databases such as Postgres, Previous industry experience or internships in related analytics Independent research experience
- Experience in programming or scripting to enable ETL development
- Hands on experience in executing data analysis and using Python, SQL, R
- Familiarity with Machine Learning (e.g. regression, classification, ensemble methods, etc.)
- Understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
- Ability to understand complex business and data systems
- Ability to clearly communicate complex results to technical and non-technical audiences
- Versatility and willingness to learn new technologies on the job
- Experience with / knowledge of data visualization tools, such as Tableau, Power BI will be a plus
- Proficient with cloud implementations (Azure, AWS, GC etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Language fluency in English is required (verbal and written)
To qualify for this internship, applicants must be pursuing or have recently graduated from a MS or PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Big Data, or related technical field; or a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Data Science programs.