|Vacancy Notice Number||ICC/22/MUL/YP1|
|Position Title||UNICC Youth Data Science Rotation Programme|
|Position Type||Internship - 3 months + Temporary appointment (P1) based on performance|
|Number of Positions||3|
|Date of Issue||12/05/2022|
|Date of Closing||30/06/2022|
|Hours per week||37.5|
|Monthly Salary Estimation - Internship||Internship: EUR 700 (Brindisi, Italy); EUR 800 (Valencia, Spain)|
|Annual Salary Estimation - P1 level||Brindisi: USD 46,960; Valencia: USD 49,502|
|Duty Station||Brindisi, Italy and Valencia, Spain|
|Organizational Location/Unit||Data and Analytics Unit (CPA)|
The UNICC workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNICC seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity by ensuring equal opportunity and an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates from any race, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
The International Computing Centre (UNICC) is the leading United Nations agency that provides Information Technology and Communications (ICT) services to all the other organizations within the United Nations System. Over the last four decades, UNICC has been continually expanding the services it is providing to its Partners in various parts of the world, and in various areas of ICT, including data science, service management, cyber security. As part of the UN family, UNICC shares its core values including integrity, respect for diversity and professionalism.
UNICC offers to its partners Data and Analytics services including consulting, implementation and managed services for decision, analytics and information capabilities, executed on a technology platform that supports an organization’s fact-based decision making.
UNICC is well-positioned with its Data Action portfolio to assist UN Agencies in implementing their alignments to the Data Strategy of the UN Secretary-General and take their data programmes to the next level with humanitarian use cases across many UN Agencies, in the areas of analytics, advanced analytics, data management and data exchange as well as data governance.
Purpose of the position:
UNICC is launching a Call for Interest for the UNICC Youth Data Science Rotation Programme to give an opportunity to highly qualified junior professionals to begin a career within the United Nations and gain first-hand experience in the field of Data Science.
The selected candidate(s) will be joining a dynamic, multicultural team and will have the opportunity to explore a full register of UNICC data science projects, from those that are in-flight to those already completed and implemented. This will allow the candidate(s) to see how data science problems are being tackled and what methodologies are being used, and will have the chance to add their own entries to the list. This is a job-based, hands-on training, as you build your skills on live projects that really matters, and offers:
- Targeted, 3-month rotation focused on developing Data and Analytics expertise
- Bespoke support and coaching from the very best in the UNICC Data and Analytics team
- Opportunity to work on live projects that build your experience and enhance Data skills
- Access support from dedicated mentors plus self-paced learning opportunities within UNICC Learning portal always at your fingertips, including on Building Machine Learning models, applying algorithmic approaches using Python and Spark, Data Wrangling with Pandas and Data Visualiazation (Power BI, Tableau, Qlik)
- Possibility to choose to rotate between four key business areas (Data Science, Data Analysis, Data Engineering, Data Architecture)
By the end of this rotation programme, the candidate would have gained all the required understanding and skills needed to move into a junior staff role at UNICC.
What we offer:
Selected candidate(s) will be offered an initial paid internship agreement for a period of 3 months, which can be then extended to a Professional assignment at P1 level, based on good performance and available funding.
The annual salary for a P1 level position is attractive. UNICC also offers generous leave and absence allowances, flexible working hours, teleworking, and, depending on eligibility, other benefits such as relocation grant, dependency allowance, language allowance, or education grant. Click here if you want to learn more about the benefits and entitlements for Professionals in the UN.
UNICC is committed to continuous learning and development and selected candidate(s) will be included in a training programme, as part of the internship experience where they will have have access to a wealth of training courses suited to all levels of expertise, from beginners to technical Machine Learning experts.
Who can apply:
Candidates applying for this call for interest should:
- be pursuing or have recently graduated with an advanced degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Big Data, or related technical field; or a first level university degree in Computer Science or Data Science programs with a strong interest in data for good projects
- have excellent command of English; knowledge of French or Spanish is an asset;
- show a great interest and motivation to work for the United Nations, particularly in an ICT environment;
- be passionate about data science;
- be curious and creative, agile and adaptable
- uphold the UN values and display the below UNICC competencies:
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behaviour; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Communication: Expresses oneself clearly in conversation and interaction with others; actively listens. Produces effective written communications. Ensures that information is shared.
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective relationships with colleagues and team members. Deals constructively with conflicts
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Demonstrates ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations. Respects differences and ensures that all can contribute.
The UNICC workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, and opinions. UNICC seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity by ensuring equal opportunity and an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates from any race, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Interested candidates should apply through the UNICC official webpage until 2 June 2022 and should fill in the required form and attach a motivation letter.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for a written test and/or interview.