|Vacancy Notice Number||ICC-19-GVA-628|
|Position Title||Chief Technology Officer|
|Position Type||Long Term|
|Number of Positions||1|
|Date of Issue||21/05/2019|
|Date of Closing||09/06/2019|
|Annual Salary Estimation||USD 143,118 (net, single rate, including post adjustment)|
|Duty Station||Geneva, Switzerland|
|Organizational Location/Unit||Clients & Projects / Solution Architecture|
Are you a senior IT professional with a true passion for digital innovation and emerging technologies? Do you have experience in sharing your strategic vision of what IT services will look like tomorrow ? Do you have excellent communication skills and the ability to liaise with senior business and ICT leadership teams? Then join the United Nations International Computing Centre and contribute to shape technologies used in the UN system, and to better address some of the world’s biggest challenges.
Purpose of the Position:
ICC is investing in the capacity to build and deploy complex solutions across a multitude technology domains ranging from digital innovation (blockchain, machine learning) to cloud native applications and hybrid cloud.
This position will run the Solution Architecture Section of ICC, and working closely with other ICC Sections and Units – contribute to business development, provide technology leadership for ICC’s client solutions as well internal digital transformation.
The Solution Architecture section is responsible for:
- Solution/Application Architecture
- Cloud (including hybrid) architecture
- Innovation and emerging technologies.
Objectives of the Programme:
The objectives of the Centre, as stated by its mandate, are to provide information and communication technology (ICT) services (including training) on an inter-organizational basis.
Main duties and responsibilities:
With matrix reporting, the CTO will have a dotted line to the Director of ICC for innovation and emerging technologies; and solid line to the Chief, Clients and Projects (C/CP); the incumbent is responsible for the following:
- Provide high level and strategic technology advisory services to Clients’ senior leadership.
- Provide high level and strategic technology advice to the ICC Director, Division Chiefs and the Executive Committee as required.
- Direct strategic technical vision for ICC’s services and internal digital transformation.
- Manage the lifecycle of professional services under the Solution Architecture Section from pre-sales support, project delivery to operational transition.
- Support the ICC Director, Division Chiefs and the Executive Committee as required in anticipating, planning, and acting on shifts in technology.
- Division Chief in establishing the Division’s work plan and strategic directions. Promote effective collaboration and partnerships outside the organization.
- Establish and maintain an on-going plan for human resources and service maintenance including service improvement projects.
- Contribute to the overall governance of ICC as required, presenting to the Executive Committee when appropriate.
- Support development of new services and products by incubating solutions based on emerging technologies and running ‘proof of concepts’ for proving value of digital technology for ICC.
- Nurture a culture of continuous improvement and team building within ICC as required.
- Keep abreast of industry good practices, new trends and technologies and evaluate these for possible adoption or incorporation.
- Represent ICC’s technical viewpoint in various forums and build on United Nation’s Strategy on New Technology.
- Actively develop and promote effective collaboration with ICC’s Partner organizations.
- Report service performance to, and coordinate service activities with customers.
- The incumbent may be requested to provide support during weekends, holidays or outside working hours as well as to serve as a “stand-by” officer on a rotation basis.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Experience and Skills required:
- Ten years or more of progressive ICT and management experience, including experience in managing multiple groups of technical resources and technical projects; with at least 5 years in multi-cultural and global International environment.
- Team building and managing cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrable experience in information technology consulting across multiple business domains; specifically to senior business and ICT leadership teams.
- Demonstrable knowledge of emerging technologies like blockchain, data analytics, devops.
- Contributing in product and services development for managed service provider
- Technology architecture; building and operating both applications and infrastructure ICT services at global level using industry standard practices such as SABSA, TOGAF and ITIL.
- Hands-on experience in implementing international best practices such as ISO standards.
- Recent experience in cloud technologies including technical and procedural security of such solutions.
- Managing large, complex, multi-stakeholder IT projects using structured methodologies such as PRINCE2
Essential technical skills:
- New and emerging technology: Has demonstrable knowledge of new technologies inter alia Blockchain (DLT), data analytics, DevOPS, cloud native computing.
- Cloud ‘as a service’: Different flavours of ‘as a Service’ and cloud service orchestration.
- Technology Consulting: Capable of presenting complex technology issues to senior management (Chief/Directors of IT and Directors of organizational units, organizations) and provide strategic guidance.
- Technical Knowledge: Deep technical knowledge of all aspects of ICT: infrastructure (datacentre, networks, and infrastructure services), applications (inter-alia multi-tier web-technology stacks, enterprise applications; applications focusing on B2B, B2C segments supporting business critical services), databases as well as service operations.
- Solution Design: Link the ICT solutions to business/organizational requirements ensuring that ICT services are built and operate to solve these needs in a secure manner.
- Enterprise Architecture: Understand ICT service design principles such as SoA and data modelling and use them with architecture frameworks such as TOGAF.
- Best Practices: Knowledge of governance, quality and security standards such as agile methodology, COBIT, ITIL and ISO 27001.
- Information and technical Security: In depth knowledge of data and information security. Understanding of various security technology products.
Essential soft skills:
- Ability to promote positive relationships between ICC, the client, and its customers.
- Strong negotiating skills and interpersonal skills.
- Responsible, takes initiative and demonstrates a flexible approach to managing shifting priorities and workload.
- Ability to promote a customer-centric approach to services or solutions.
- Familiarity of ICC structure and service delivery processes.
- In depth understanding of the UN system, its specialized agencies and their inter-relationships
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience of working practices within ‘not-for-profit’ International Organizations (including UN) as well as ‘for-profit’ commercial companies.
- Programming languages- experience in coding using C, C++, Python, C#, perl, php, ruby or any other modern programming language. The candidate is not expected to code; but have programming experience to support devops and other solution builds.
- Public speaking experience – to present technology in public forums.
- Knowledge of performance review, assessments, as well as team improvement activities.
- Operating ICT services.
- ICT service procurement and contract negotiations.
- Project Management
- A Master’s or equivalent university degree in computer, information systems, management or leadership or a Bachelor’s degree plus 7 years of relevant experience (in addition to the post requirements) is required.
- Additional certifications in information systems as part of continuous learning to support the essential knowledge and skills requirements.
- Relevant professional certifications
Fluency in English is required.
ICC Global Competencies:
- Communicating in a credible and effective way: Expresses oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others; listens actively. Produces effective written communications.
- Moving forward in a changing environment: Is open to and proposes new approaches and ideas. Adapts and responds positively to change.
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond: Develops and strengthens internal and external partnerships that can provide information, assistance and support to ICC. Identifies and uses synergies across the Organization and with external partners.
- Driving ICC to a successful future: Demonstrates a broad-based understanding of the growing complexities of ICT issues and activities. Creates a compelling vision of shared goals, and develops a roadmap for successfully achieving real progress in improving ICT services.
Annual Salary Estimation (net of tax at single rate), including post adjustment (64.3% on May 2019): US$ 143,118.
UNICC also offers generous leave and absence allowances, flexible working hours, overtime compensation, teleworking, access to training, and depending on eligibility other benefits such as relocation grant, dependency allowance, language allowance, or education grant.
Closing date for applications:
Applications will be accepted until midnight (Geneva Time) on 9 June 2019.
- Technical and/or personality tests may be carried out as part of the selection process
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
- Though you may not be selected for this advertised position, the ICC will keep your application in a roster if your profile is deemed to be of potential interest for the Centre. You may thus be solicited by our HR department to participate in an interview for another position
Applications from women are particularly encouraged for this vacancy